Preschool Teacher Position
We have indoor and outdoor classroom spaces, offer 3 preschool programs, a kindergarten program, and summer camps. We are looking for caring, creative and enthusiastic teachers to lead our preschool class of 4-5 year olds who:
- Wants to play outside every day.
- Lets children take physical and emotional risks.
- Trusts children with the ability to make sense of the world through unstructured, freely chosen play.
- Is comfortable leading a group of adults from diverse backgrounds to be assistant teachers.
- Likes to do messy art and use real tools.
- Is comfortable on a playground filled with loose parts and items that might be considered “junk” to others.
- Wants to be part of a team of teachers who share space and each lead their own class.
- Four afternoon classes per week (Mon – Thur): 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm, plus setup, breakdown, and planning time.
- Two evening meetings per month: 2 hours board meeting, plus 2 hours parent education meeting.
- Teach approximately 20 students, collaborate with parent teachers to follow the children’s interests, lead age-appropriate “circle time” activities, set up stations and activities, and clean up the classroom.
- Model for parents and encourage their participation as assistant teachers.
- Give an overview of the class during evening meetings.
- Collaborate with other teachers to provide children with a developmentally appropriate program that follows NAEYC standards, and meets their emotional and physical demands.
- Coordinate with other Teachers to select curriculum/classroom supplies.
- Degree in Early Childhood Education, or equivalent amount of experience working with preschool age children. Experience in a co-op setting a plus.
- Ability to develop age-appropriate curriculum and activities for children through play-based learning.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with both children and adults.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to the collaborative nature of a cooperative school.
- Ability and comfort to move frequently between different physical classroom stations (kitchen, play areas, circle time, etc.) and positioning self to interact with children in these areas.
- First Aid and CPR certifications, or ability to obtain prior to start date.
- Salary based on experience; paid sick days and holidays.
- 9 work months per year; option to work during the summer months.
- Follow the Seattle Public School calendar for holidays.
- Opportunity for professional development via classes/seminars paid for by the Cooperative Preschool.
- Opportunity to work with and get support from consulting Parent Educators from North Seattle College.
Email the following to WoodlandParkCoopRecruiting@gmail.com:
- Cover letter.
- 3 professional/applicable references (name/email/phone).